Monday, February 1, 2010

Beauty of the run

Breath in. Breath out.
Watch out for the mailbox.
Grass, gravel, pavement, sidewalk.
Look both ways before crossing.
In through the nose, out through the mouth.
Push it. Push it harder. Focus.

I tend to think a lot at night and it sometimes keeps me up.
And sometimes when I need to think I go for a run.
I did that tonight, it was damp and a cool 45 degrees.
I ran the route I've been running for years.
Down the neighborhood, next to the cemetery, pass the cathedral,
loop around the park and back to the ice cream shop.

It's important to breath when you run, but it's hard when it's cold like this.
So, you've got to remember to focus.
Breath in. Breath out. In through the nose, out through the mouth.
It also helps ease the mind.

I used to hate running, the stomach cramps and the chest pain just wasn't for me.
But everything is different now.
I've found joy in the beauty of the run.
I guess is some way, that's like my spiritual journey.
How something I once wanted nothing to do with became
irresistibly amazing and fascinating to me.
By grace I was saved and I've begun my own race, set out before me.
And you've got to remember to focus.

Breath in the word. Breath out prayer.
See to it that every moment I'm on the cross.
Morning, afternoon, evening, night.
Look for ways to leave a legacy.
In with the spirit, make no provision for the flesh.
Push it. Push it harder. Focus.

0 comments: